Skins are Ballin on a Budget
With the Redskins salary cap situation hindering the team from making a dramatic signing in free agency, it’s been a quiet off-season so far for the Burgundy and Gold. The Redskins went to war with the NFL to try to get some of that lost cash back so the team could further build on the success of this past season, but were unsuccessful. Now the Skins have to deal with the hand that they are dealt.
The Skins released number one corner DeAngelo Hall, who has due $8 million this year, just to get under the cap to avoid further cap penalties. While D-Hall was a “Knuckle Head” (insert best Charles Barkley impression), he was also the number one corner for the Skins.
So as the big name free agents were dropping like flies, I began to check out the free agents that are still available that wouldn’t put a dent in the pockets of the team. With the signings of Jeremy Trueblood and Tony Pashos, the Skins seem set at right tackle. And with the re-signing of Tyler Polumbus, it looks like the team has set out to sign just role players.
With the recent signing of E.J. Biggers from Tampa Bay the Redskins are now looking to add players to fill in voids from other teams “cap casualties”. So I have put together some possible cheap free agents out there that the Redskins could take a look at.
1. Mike Jenkins (CB) – Jenkins could be a very good pick up for the Redskins if he can stay healthy. He had an off year for the Cowboys charting only 10 tackles to go along with 3 pass breakups. Health is Jenkins’ main issue, but if he could stay healthy for 16 games, he could be a solid nickel cornerback.
2. Chris Hope (SS) – Hope would be a very affordable player that could fill in one of the voids at the safety position left by possibly the WORST safety in the NFL in Madieu Williams. Chris had a pretty good year with 26 combined tackles and one fumble recovery. The Skins could add veteran leadership to the d-backs with this move.
3. Dawan Landry (S) – Could another Landry be coming to D.C.? When Jacksonville released him I scratched my head because this guy is a beast when put in the right situation. Landry had great stats last year chalking up 81 tackles with 1 INT and 2 pass defended, but the reason why he is on the cheap list is because of his injuries history. If he wanted to come to DC, a one year deal would be the wise move.
4. David Thomas (TE) – It looks like Thomas just fell out of favor with the Saints. He could be a great pick up just in case we can’t re-sign Davis back. Even though Thomas only gained 86 receiving yards last year, he did tally four TDs, proving to be a solid red-zone threat.
5. Akeem Jordan (MLB) – Jordan could be a very cheap option for the Skins to add more linebacker depth. Jordan could fill the space that Lorenzo Alexander left behind, being a special team’s player and filling in when called upon. Plus he’s a JMU boy, so adding local products is always a plus for the fan base.
6. Julian Edelman (WR) – Washington could bring in Edelman to be that kick and punt returner that the team really needs. Also he could do some spot duty receiving work, filling in at the slot when Moss isn’t on the field.
7. Antoine Winfield (CB) – When the Vikings released the team’s best corner I was shocked. The old man still has it! And by still has it, I mean he put up 100 tackles and three INTs last year at age 36!! The Skins have showed interest in Winfield and Winfield’s camp has shown interest in the Skins. Maybe it happens maybe it won’t, but if the price is right he should get a look.
There are still some quality free agents on the market that could help this Washington team. Let us know in the comment section who you would like to see the Skins add throughout the rest of free agency. HTTR!