“Everybody in the world has an ego. The only difference between us is we have a reason to have an ego.”
With the United States claiming bronze in the 1988 Olympics, the USA Olympic committee brought together what is considered the best group of players in a team sport ever for the 1992 games. The team consisted of 12 players that would all eventually be enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Bringing together the huge personalities as well as egos of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Charles Barkley put the team on a rock star level that none of them could have imagined, it also made great television.
These are the top 10 things we learned from the Dream Team Documentary:
10. Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan did not want Isiah Thomas on the team.
9. No one really cared for Christian Laettner.
8. Chuck Daly threw the first scrimmage against the college all-stars. Bobby Hurley still believes they were good enough to actually win. The next day, the dream team won by 100.
7. Michael Jordan is now pretty chubby.
6. Charles Barkley thinks Budweiser is the strongest beer in the world. Had 2 day hangover after drinking with Larry Bird.
5. Practice schedule was planned around Jordan and Chuck Daly’s golf games.
4. Jordan doesn’t sleep. His everyday schedule included 36 holes of golf, practice or game, then playing cards until 5am with Barkley and Magic.
3. No one in Barcelona knows who John Stockton is.
2. The team won by 43.8 points per game.
1. Reporter: “How’d you feel in 1972 when the Soviet Union beat the United States in that wild game?” Barkley: “Well I had just flunked my entrance exam into kindergarten, so that was the only thing on my mind at the time.”